We've been to the allotment pretty much everyday in the last week, but mainly to water and do a little weeding. I'm running out of big jobs that I can do just now.
Last Monday (bank holiday) Scruffy came with us and we lifted some of the paving slabs and moved two to the shed door. It worked great, and I'm glad we saved the builders sand for the job.
Next weekend we're going to lift and re-lay the patio bricks, as they're a little too uneven. The big slabs from the back of the shed will be laid as the path, which will eventually be in front of the glasshouse.

I bought two rose arches, which are going at the end of the central path between the pumpkin patches. I've ordered some sweet-pea seeds to grow over the top. "Night and Day", "Almost Black" and "Beaujolias". Can't wait to see them covering the arch :)They were as cheap as I could find though (I hope to one day replace them with wooden arches), so inevitably they had minor faults, which included two completely bent ends of the cross struts, so we had to make the arch shorter in the end. The picture on the right shows the shorter height, they are just above my head now.
Today we added tomato feed to the watering - I'm mentioning this so I don't forget which day I did it! Tagged posts can be so helpful.
We also swapped around some of the supports and added netting to the Brassica bed - Pigeons have a particular liking for young brassicas, so they need some protection. I've also ordered some more netting for the strawberry bed, to stop the wee birds scoffing them all.
I'm not sure what the metal frame things were, they were in the detritus left here when we took over, but they're very useful as net support.
The broccoli and now some kale is in this bed, as well as lines of garlic and onions at each end.
The courgettes, tatties, and pumpkins are all coming along. I think the pumpkins took a wee knock back after going into the ground, but they seem to be recovering fine. The newer central leaves are strong and firm.
The wee sunflower seedling is getting his main leaves now as well. Won't be long before he can go in the ground. The eggshells are working to keep the slugs away.

On another note, the crows left us a couple of dubious 'gifts' - a bone, and a foot from some smaller, less-fortunate, bird. I guess they liked the eggs we left for them? :PI also bring them the bacon rind when we have any. They love it.
The weather has been scorchingly hot this week, and I am in danger of getting a tan! It really has been too hot to do any serious work, so Eric and I have been watering each other almost as much as the plants!







No comments:
Post a Comment